Projects Rooman Lab
Pancreatic exocrine cell plasticity in homeostasis and cancer
Exocrine acinar and ductal cells are the cells of origin for tumor formation. We study differentiation changes in these cells or subsets of these cell populations, and their role in tumor initiation. We have particular attention for a newly discovered cell type/state, i.e. pancreatic basal cells. We relate this normal cell plasticity to heterogeneity and plasticity in transcriptomic subtypes of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.
The role of axon guidance genes in pancreatic cancer
The SLIT ligand-ROBO receptor pathway presents frequent mutations in pancreatic cancer. We study the biology of this pathway in pancreatic tumor cells and their interaction with the immune and non-immune stroma.
Drug repurposing in pancreatic cancer
We investigate the effects of non-cancer drugs for their potential inhibitory effects, related to the above projects.
The above research is underpinned by advanced spatial profiling techniques (Visual and Spatial Tissue Analysis corefacility) and advanced pancreatic (tumor) cell modelling in vitro (cell lines, primary cells, organoids) and in mice (genetically engineered mouse models, patient derived xenografts).
Projects Neyns Lab
Targeted Therapies (BRAF/MEK-inhibitors) (Dr. G. Awada)
- TraMel-WT (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): trial of Trametinib in patients with advanced pretreated BRAFV600 wild-type Melanoma
- Combi-R2 (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): Dabrafenib/Trametinib/Hydroxychloroquine for advanced pretreated BRAF V600 mutant melanoma
Myeloid Dendritic Cell Therapy (MYDC) (Dr. JK. Schwarze)
- myDCTV (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): intratumoral injection of autologous CD1c/CD141 (BDCA-1/BDCA-3)+ myDC plus Talimogene Laherparepvec (T-VEC)
- myDAvlpNi (PI Prof. Dr. B. Neyns): intratumoral injection of autologous CD1c/CD141 (BDCA-1/BDCA-3)+ myDC, Avelumab, and Ipilimumab plus systemic Nivolumab
Checkpoint Inhibitors (Prof. Dr. B. Neyns)
- GlitipNi: intra-tumoral Ipilimumab plus intravenous Nivolumab following the resection of recurrent Glioblastoma
- LuSCID: Lung cancer treated with SBRT, Checkpoint Inhibitors and myeloid Dendritic cells
PARP Inhibition in HRD Solid Tumors (Dr. S. Joris)
- Precision 2 Study: Olaparib: efficacy of olaparib in advanced cancers occurring in patients with germline mutations or somatic tumor mutations in homologous recombination genes
- Whole exome sequencing on index patients in families with breast and pancreatic cancer
EGFR-Targeted Therapy (Prof. Dr. L. Decoster)
- Afatinib: a prospective explorative open label Phase II study of Afatinib in the treatment of advanced cancers carrying a EGFR, HER2 or HER3 mutation
- G-OncoCOACH (geriatric assessment): randomized study to investigate the effect of GA-directed interventions coordinated by the geriatric team and patient coaching versus interventions coordinated by oncologists in older adults with cancer treated with systemic therapy